Preaching at GMC 29.12.13

Today is the first Sunday of Christmas in the Christian Calendar.  It was my pleasure to be preaching again at GMC today where I spoke about the cost of discipleship.  The readings from the Lectionary spoke of the massacre of the innocents, a sermon topic I have not heard abut before.  We included a dialogue piece and the congregation were included in the delivery of prayers for others, with 13 voices from around the Church providing a different verse.

For my sermon I painted an alternative picture of the first Christmas, on of risk and inclusion by the Bethlehem community, a welcome that was to prove costly with Herod's maniacal response.

I linked this to the cost of discipleship and next weeks service which will be the annual covenant service.

During the sermon I spoke at some length off notes, talking about living conditions in 1st century Bethlehem.

I felt inspired during the service, that despite a challenging word, that the Spirit was with me.

The comments received afterwards were very positive indeed, which I am grateful for.  A copy of my sermon can be found on my next post.
Colin

Popular posts from this blog

commitment, ours and Gods.....

Who is Your God?

The first shall be last and the last shall be first