The effects of what we say

I'd like to go off piste a little and just reflect on how important it is when we comment of other peoples work and the effect that our words can have.

This blog has principally been about my work as a local preacher, but outside of this I actually have two "proper jobs" so to speak.  I am a physiotherapist and an associate lecturer at a local University.

I submitted a case report to a journal recently and today received the feedback.  Now first of all, the think about being in academia means that you stick you head above the parapet whenever you submit anything and in a sense you are welcoming reviewers to find fault with your work.  I do this and I am doing it now actually as I have just put to side a portfolio to mark to write this blog.  However commentary can be supportive and enabling even when the student has missed the mark.  Just to be certain on this matter, I don't have an issue with receiving critique at all. I have just submitted a large grant application in support of a research proposal that will be my PhD, and I revised that at least 4 times with my supervisor, but not once did she make me feel useless or poor, so I am not averse to receiving critique

One of the reviews I received fitted this bracket and was workable with.  The second was in my humble opinion just a tad rude. I lost count of the number of times the reviewer used the word poor, and he/she accused me of poor spelling (that hurt - I am a bit of a grammar nerd) - though not sure what dictionary they were using as I couldn't find any bad spelling and they also made a comment that I shouldn't have linked pain with loss of function.  As a physiotherapist I humbly beg to differ.  The two are intertwined and of equal importance. Rarely to I defend my profession but on this occasion I felt the need to, perhaps influenced by a raising of some sort of patriotic professional pride.  (Those pesky emotions again!)

So that got me thinking.  First of all I just declined the revisions - life is sometimes too short - and I am a bit busy with other things right now; who knows I might rewrite and resubmit later.  But, what of the effect emotional and other that our words as reviewers have on students and professional who submit to journals.

How can we provide feedback that enables as well as critiques?  And as reviewers perhaps we need to review our own commentary before sending it out as we don't know who it is we are talking about in journal reviewing and who knows the effects of our words.

Food for thought - your ideas would of course be welcomed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Christmas story.

Inclusion; Like Christmas. is it too costly?

The fallacy of fascism